Monday, June 27, 2011

Yes, As a Matter of Fact, Exchange Students are ALL that!

Even though my journey has yet to have begun, I have met so many wonderful people, who have been an amazing support system throughout the past few months. In other words, these people are my fellow exchange students, who next year will be taking the step into the great unknown. Just like me. You may think I'm overthinking this by saying "the great unknown" but that's exactly what it is. Anywho, back in March, all the inbound and outbound exchange students met together for the first time at the State Interact Conference. Lets just say, that meeting them, drove away all fears and reservations I had previously held. They are the most amazing and fascinating people I have probably ever met. The outbounds got to ask the inbounds questions about their countries, and for the first time in my life, I felt like I fit in perfectly. I always had a different mind set, leading me to disagreements with friends, but the exchange students...we were on EXACTLY the same page. We got along well, even more so than I do with my own friends. Sorry if this is too cheesy for you, but they are literally my second family. Since then, the inbounds and outbounds met for a weekend on the beach. It was amazing. I learnt so much, and made friendships that will last. That was the last time I saw the inbounds (with the exception of two, who live in my town, and the town next to mine). I'm sad that I won't see them again, but I wish them all the best. At the beach weekend, we also met with former exchange students, which was great, because we got to hear from them about what they went through, and what it was like for them. It's been helpful :) Recently the outbounds met for a training weekend at Dr. Vicki's house. It was great to see them all again....I was surprised to find that I had missed them...and generally speaking I don't miss anyone.Ever. I won't see them again until after our exchanges, but I hope they have a great time, and of course we will stay in contact. Punch line of this long monologue, is that when you become an exchange student, it's a pretty big deal. And you get to meet and welcome amazing people in your life who think like you, and want the same things you do. I don't think there is much more you could ask for! I think exchange students, in general are seen as all that. And just for the record, we are ;) Love to all the exchange students! Liebe immer,

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment