Sunday, April 29, 2012

My life as it is now

Life is busy as always, and I'm constantly moving on to the next and what not. Any who, it's been a while since I posted anything and I thought I would just send out an update to those poor souls, who actually read this wretched thing. Two weeks ago, I went with what is now my old host family, off the to Ostsee (Baltic Sea to the rest of the world) for my host dads family reunion. To get there, we had to ride the train for five hours. Normally people would cringe and think of how awful that is, but I absolutely LOVE riding the train. I find it so relaxing, and just having my ipod in, and watching all the people, and the beautiful scenery rushing by, is for me, total perfection. I end up riding trains a lot, and I prefer riding them alone. I come up with any excuse just to ride the train. It's my thinking place...as weird as it is. I just love it, and will definitely miss that when I'm home. Ok back to the main topic here- the family reunion. Marc's (my host dad) cousins and their kids and parents where all there at the Ostsee, and it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable weekend. The weather was so nice, and we were right on the beach. I just sat among the dunes and read my book, trying to enjoy the sun, which is so rare here. It hardly comes out in the winter, and sitting there, it was just pleasantly warm. Okay, and then the following Thursday, I switched host families. Now I live in a tiny village, called Hundesmuhlen. This is about 8 kilometers from the city center of Oldenburg. I absolutely love it. I have to say, I was looking forward to this family the most, and they have not let me down one bit. They are quite simply amazing. They are Ulf, Christina, and the Janne, who as of an hour ago is 14 and then Jette, who is 10. What I love most about them? They are normal. And they like me. Not too much to ask, I think! They are just so sweet, and they've hung the American and the South Carolinian flag from their flag pole in the garden. And they greet me as their daughter. I just love being here. I love the family. I love my room. It's the best feeling in the world. So it's actually very cool, right now I have a four day weekend, because Monday and Tuesday are a national holiday. Don't ask what for, because I have no clue! Any way, on the Monday, all the young people (aka 16 and up) start drinking very early and they all decorate a big tree and set it up in their garden. Then that night, everyone has to try steal someone else's tree. I quite like the idea of it haha it sounds funny.Then I go back to school on Wednesday, but what is really cool, because it will be my last school day for three weeks! Because on Thursday, I leave for my EUROTOUR!! Words cannot explain how excited I am. I just know that this will probably be one of the best couple of weeks of my life!We go to France, Italy, Austria, the Czech Republic, and then travel a little bit around the south of Germany. For 16 days, I will be on a bus with about 35 other exchange students, all from different parts of the world. I feel bad for those rotarians that are stuck with us. hahaha. Well as I am busy with worldy travels and all, you won't see another post from me in a while. So viel spass nach, and see you soon! love always, Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment