Sunday, June 26, 2011

Danke Danke Danke!

So I have yet to explained how I actually got to the point of embarking on the GREATEST thing that has pretty much ever happened to me. The organization that has made this possible is Rotary, and this is a program that I respect and appreciate greatly! Rotary is a program that strives to make communities and the world a better place. They do community outreaches, and create fundraisers to raise money for the community, or big projects, like their current End Polio Now campaign which is to eradicate polio. Each year Rotary sends thousands of exchange students all over the world, and starting in August I will be one of them. When I tell people I'm going to be an exchange student, one of the first questions they ask is how I got the oppurtunity. Basically, at the end of last year, I asked my mom what kind of clubs there were to join at my local high school. One of the clubs that she mentioned (which is supervised by her friend) is Interact. Interact works closely with Rotary, and organizes its own fundraisers to donate to local charites. Back then my mom told me that if I was interested in doing an exchange, I could do it through Interact...after that I forgot about it, but when the school year started, and I attended the first meeting, they told us that if we were interested in being an exchange student, then tell them, and they would put you in touch with the YEO of the local rotary club. Well I said I was interested, and it has been a whirlwind experience ever since. I had a meeting with the club president, and YEO and they agreed to sponsor me. I had a phone "interview" with the district chair person, sent in a preliminary application, got accepted, sent in a final application, got an offical interview, and then was given my country! I would like to take the oppurtunity to thank my Interact sponser who set it up, my YEO for helping me along the way, and a big thank you to my district chairperson, Dr. Vicki Tatum, who has guided me, and numerous amounts of other students through this process and who made it all possible. So danke, danke, danke to Rotary and all the amazing people who helped me and continue to guide me through this experience!
Liebe immer,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment